Skip to main content

Monty Panesar hopes for a comeback to cricket

Former England left-arm spinner Monty Panesar expressed his desire to return to cricket having been cured of the “paranoia/schizophrenia” which sidelined him over the past few years.

Panesar, 37, who was an England regular at his peak taking 167 wickets in 50 Tests — told The Daily Mail he can earn a return to first-class cricket despite being without a club since 2016.



His career has jolted since being released by Sussex in 2013 after the spinner urinated on a nightclub bouncer outside a club.

“My parents became worried. They wanted me to see someone,” Panesar said.

“I had always thought strong people couldn’t have a problem. My cricket had always gone the way I had planned it, but suddenly things started going in a direction I hadn’t experienced since childhood.

“It was a guy called Peter Gilmore who said I was suffering from paranoia/schizophrenia and that shocked me massively. Mike Brearley told me to be careful about the things I was saying to myself. Some experts thought I'd never get better but I knew I could fight it, come through it.”

Panesar now believes he has overcome his problems and remains hopeful for a return to first-class cricket.

The left armer has claimed 167 and 24 wickets in 50 Tests and 26 ODIs respectively.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bangladesh Premier League starts on February 9

Bangladesh Premier League (BPL), first edition will kick off on February 9, 2012 and final to be played on 29 February. Six teams will play each other twice in the 20-day tournament over 33 matches to be played in Chittagong and Dhaka. five foreign players to be allowed in their XIs Adam Gilchrist, Kieron Pollard, Mathew Hayden, Dwayne Bravo, James Anderson and Kamran Akmal are among foreign players who are available for the tournament so far.

Kevin Pietersen to play Caribbean Premier League

Former England all-rounder Kevin Pietersen is all set to take part in the Caribbean Premier League Twenty20, takes place in July and August this year, according to reports from BBC . Pietersen, 33, has confirmed the news on his Twitter account: Delighted to enter the Draft for @CPL_T20 next week. Will we be rivals or teammates, @henrygayle ? — Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) March 28, 2014 Despite being England's top-scorer in all international formats, the South African-born batsman was sacked from England and Wales Cricket Board contract in February following the team's recent 5-0 Ashes whitewash in Australia.