The veteran all-rounder Shahid Afridi has been re-appointed captain of the Pakistan's Twenty20 squad until the 2016 World T20. The Pakistan Cricket Board announced.
Shahid Afridi named captain of T20 Squad while Misbah retained as Test and ODI captain #PCB http://t.co/Y5W9QPkdpQ
— PCB Official (@TheRealPCB) September 16, 2014
The 34-year-old has been chosen T20 Skipper for the second time, earlier he was sacked from the captaincy due to disciplinary issues with coach Waqar Younis and the PCB.
"Whatever happened in the past is over and now I have started a new beginning," Afridi told reporters.
"I will develop a fearless approach in the players and eradicate the fear of loss as a captain. This format is not for the chicken-hearted player."
The 6 ft 0 inch star replaces Mohammad Hafeez, who stepped down in April following the ICC World T20 held in Bangladesh earlier this year.
Afridi also known as Boom Boom has scored 1112 runs in 74 Twenty20 internationals at an average of 19.17 including four fifties. He has also claimed 77 wickets with an economy rate of 6.48.
His first assignment as a T20 skipper will be against Australia in Dubai on October 5.
Meanwhile the ODI and Test squad captaincy remains with the batsman Misbah-ul-Haq until the 2015 World Cup.
South Africa's head coach Russell Domingo has been awarded with an extension on his contract for another year that will be valid until April 2016.
The previous contract was due to expire in April 2015 but the 40-year-old will now stay on till 2016.
Domingo joined CSA in 2013 when Gary Kirsten left his coaching stint with the Proteas.
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has suspended Pakistan spin maestro Saeed Ajmal from bowling in an international matches with immediate effect after his bowling action was found illegal.
The right-arm spinner, who is currently number-one-ranked bowler in one-day international cricket, has taken 178 wickets in 35 Test matches at an average of 28.10 and 183 wickets in 111 ODI’s at 22.18 average.
It has been deemed by the ICC that Ajmal’s action was found to be outside of the 15 degrees tolerance while he was being tested in Brisbane last month.
A statement from the ICC said: "The player has been suspended from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect.
"Saeed can apply a re-assessment after he has modified his bowling action in accordance with clause 2.4 of the Regulations for the Review of Bowlers Reported with Suspected Illegal Bowling Actions."
The suspension of the 36-year-old off-spinner is a huge blow for Pakistan, as he is unavailable to bowl in the series against Australia in UAE next week and doubtful for the 2015 World Cup as well.
Meanwhile Former Pakistan legend Saqlain Mushtaq has offered that he would be willing to help Ajmal in adjusting his action.
Mushtaq said on Twitter:
I will help and support saeed ajmal to the best of my ability if required
— Saqlain Mushtaq (@Saqlain_Mushtaq) September 9, 2014
Ajmal has only five months left to correct his bowling action and can apply to the ICC for a re-assessment in order to play in the 2015 World Cup, which starts in February.
Here’s the twitter reactions to Ajmal’s suspension:
Wow - Ajmal banned! Never nice to see fellow professionals going through a tough time...hopefully he's back soon!
— Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) September 9, 2014
Saeed Ajmal suspended from bowling. Testing shows all deliveries illegal. Huge call by ICC and serious re modification needed to action .
— mike selvey (@selvecricket) September 9, 2014
Make no mistake that bowling a Doosra and reverse swing are brilliant skills.. Do we want the Doosra banned?
— Dean Jones (@ProfDeano) September 9, 2014
Please don't shoot me over the Ajmal decision ... I don't make the laws.. One way if you think a kid throws it .. Then he is more than 15deg
— Dean Jones (@ProfDeano) September 9, 2014
Chuckers should have no place in the game but If ICC finds ALL Ajmal deliveries illegal now what was it doing for so many years?
— Cricketwallah (@cricketwallah) September 9, 2014
It's not much fun being a bowler these days is it? Hope Saeed Ajmal can find a solution. He's a wizard who is good for the game.
— simon hughes (@theanalyst) September 9, 2014
We are right behind you @REALsaeedajmal and you will get through this! No matter what you will always be the best spinner in the world fr me
— shan masood (@shani_official) September 9, 2014
The question for me is: has Adjmal's action always been illegal, or has it evolved that way because of weak governance?
— Iain O'Brien (@iainobrien) September 9, 2014
Sad to hear of Ajmal's ban... I can possibly understand the doosra but offbreaks? I hope he can correct his actions in time for CWC'15
— Dav Whatmore (@dfwhatmore) September 9, 2014
Wish @REALsaeedajmal can modify his bowling action n get back with a bang.biggest asset of Pakistan cricke.all prayers wd him.
— Umar55 (@mdk_gul) September 9, 2014
“@dhraza: @BumbleCricket what do you make of the news that Saeed Ajmal has been banned?” Inevitable ....
— David 'Bumble' Lloyd (@BumbleCricket) September 9, 2014
Ajmal been banned for throwing? I dont get it...just let em play...all the best bowlers chuck anyway!!!
— Adam Hollioake (@adamhollioake) September 9, 2014
Cricket Australia have announced that Australian batsman George Bailey has quit the national Twenty20 captaincy in order to regain his Test place and to focus on the preparation of next year's World Cup.
The 32-year-old has also made himself unavailable for the upcoming tour of the UAE for T20’s against Pakistan and at home three T20s against South Africa in November.
The right-handed batsman announced his decision today in order to concentrate to improve his chances of playing more Test cricket.
The Tasmanian, who led the Aussie in 27 games and won 13. He has played 28 Twenty20s for his country, scoring 470 runs at 26.11 average.
However Bailey will be available to play for the Hobart Hurricanes as a skipper in the T20 Big Bash League and for Kings XI Punjab in IPL.
Aaron Finch is likely to replace Bailey for the Twenty20 captaincy, reports The Sydney Morning Herald.
New Zealand coach Mike Hesson has extended his contract after signing on for further two years after 2015 World Cup.
Head Coach Mike Hesson has extended his NZC contract two years post- @cricketworldcup: http://t.co/837NzSUZaw ^RI pic.twitter.com/UgQkopvcz0
— BLACKCAPS (@BLACKCAPS) September 3, 2014
The 39-year-old have been appointed in July 2012 after John Wright stepped aside. Hesson’s current contract was due to expire at the end of April 2015, but that has now been extended to the another two years until the end of April 2017.
"It's a really exciting time for the sport with the World Cup at home," Hesson said, "our senior players performing well and a promising group of youngsters who are all fighting for World Cup spots."
New Zealand to play three match one-day international home series against South Africa, starting next month on October 21.